- They look different to other melanomas. Their appearances are not well known in the community or EVEN among health care providers
- They grow more quickly. Nodular melanomas comprise only 10 to 15% of all melanomas but account for 60 to 70% of deep melanomas
- Nodular melanomas grow more quickly in depth than other types of melanoma. From the outset nodular melanomas are developing increasing life-threatening potential.
- It is likely that they vary in rate of growth but that some may take only 6 to 8 weeks! to develop significant life threatening potential
- The ABCD’s are of no help for Nodular MelanomaNodular melanomas have no appreciable flat phase
- In contrast to the ABCD features, nodular melanomas are symmetrical, have a regular border, are generally one colour and should be detected when they are only a few millimeters in diameter. These features are not well known.
- EFG has been suggested as a guide. Elevation, Firm and Growing.
- Any lump on the skin that is still growing after a month should be assessed medically.
- One in five cases of nodular melanoma is ultimately fatal.
"Do the ABCDs, but also trust yourself, because in my experience patients are the first ones to notice something is wrong," Leffell said. "If patients are worried about a spot and the doctor doesn't want to biopsy it, find another doctor to biopsy it. The patient is the customer." Quote from Dr. Leffel at Yale.
My new motto: When in doubt, cut it out!
Info from presentation by VICTORIAN MELANOMA SERVICE and article from My Health News Please Check them out too!