- Since getting Melanoma I have done a lot of research. Here I will post facts that I have found in one spot, in case it can help others in their search. -
- If not caught early, melanoma is known to be the most deadly of all skin cancers.
- Melanoma can also occur in the eye, the mucous membranes, in your mouth, intestines and on your genitals including the vagina or even underneath fingernails and toenails.
- Melanoma is the fastest growing cancer worldwide and in the US.
- The American Cancer Society estimates that the risk of developing invasive melanoma is a 1 in 50 throughout your lifetime.
- Melanoma primarily affects individuals in the prime years of life, is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old and the second most common cancer in adolescents and young adults 15-29 years old.
- The incidence of people under 30 developing melanoma is increasing faster than any other demographic group, soaring by 50 percent in young women since 1980.
- Every hour of every day, someone dies of melanoma. It's not "just" skin cancer.
- Even though Melamoma has a high cure rate when caught early, once it spreads internally, it is one of the most malignant and incurable of all cancers.
- BUT it is also one of the MOST preventable cancers.
Nodular melanoma does not follow the ABCD's of skin cancer. It is often missed. It is also the most deadly melanoma since it grows very quickly and in a downward direction. PLEASE see my page on Nodular Melanoma. This is one of the types I had.
Any lump on the skin that is still growing after a month should be assessed medically!
Since some melanoma's can grow very fast (within months!!) You should be familiar with your skin and do monthly skin checks. Here is a link with instructions and a fun video on how to do it.
Link Here: Skin Check
Your Pathology Report